Scientology Slammed by Berlin Court
29 Mar 2001
Here is a rough translation by my German Attorney, Johannes Eisenberg of the Berlin Court's decision. I would like to sincerely thank Rev. Thomas Gandow and Tilman Hausherr for their help, support and encouragement in prosecuting this case against Scientology. Without them the result would have not been possible :-)
Regional Court of Berlin
Tegeler Weg 17-21
Public Hearing of the Regional Court of Berlin
File-Number: 27.0.764/00 at 27. March 2001
Under presence of
Head of Panel, presiding Justice Mauck
Justices Gollan and Becker
In the Complaint of
Minton against Weber, Church of Scientology Deutschland e.V., and others, called Defendants
At the end of the hearing it was decided and pronounced:
1. The defendants are obliged, on penalty of a fine of up to 500,000 DM in the case of violation, alternatively detention, or detention of up to 6 months, to be enforced against the defendant under 2. and 3. on one of the members of the Board of Directors, to refrain from propagating, literally or analogously,
1. "Freiheit", issue with headline "Menschenrechtspreis" für Dritte-Welt-Ausbeuter (Human Rights Award for Third-World Exploiter), p. 2, top of first column: "According to a criminal complaint against 'Robert Minton and accessories' for fraud, money laundering and forgery of documents, filed by the Republic of Nigeria on June 23rd, 2000 with the Attorney General in Geneva, between 1987 and 1993, Minton, following a secret fraudulent plan 'diverted several billion US$ to the damage of the Republic of Nigeria... Robert Minton deposited the diverted money in several business and private numbered bank accounts'. After the Nigerian government asked a Geneva bank concerned to freeze Minton's bank accounts and give information concerning accusations of money laundering 'Robert Minton met on May 20th, 2000 with the directors of that bank', the criminal complaint continues. 'To our knowledge he demanded the immediate transfer of his money and the destruction of documents.'"
Green box page 2, right column: "Wrocklage ... semi-accomplices of a man, who is charged with half the penal code".
2. Flyer: "Gnadenlose Geldgier" (Merciless Greed for Money) Column 2: "According to the certified public accountants of the globally operating firm Arthur Andersen billions of Nigerian oil dollars were basically stolen during the mentioned period of time. All in all it is said to be a matter of at least 12 billion US$. The ex-military dictators moved them to foreign bank accounts by means of banks and cover companies. The unscrupulous wheeler-dealer Minton was involved in these money rackets, after he and his accessories got hold of illegal inside knowledge to maximize their profits ... Presently there are a great number of examinations and hearings dealing with this gigantic fraud scandal which was carried out using 200 different bank accounts. Only recently, a further 'vanished' 1.31 billion DM were discovered and frozen by the Attorney General in Luxembourg."
3. Freiheit issue "Scientology in Schweden endgültig als Religion anerkannt" (Scientology Finally Recognized as a Religion in Sweden) Page 2, column 3: "It comes as no surprise that even proven buddies of dictatorial killer regimes are welcome guests at the Office for the Protection of the Constitution - that they are 'against Scientology' seems to be all that matters. Caberta and the Hamburg Department of the Interior, the latter being responsible for the fight against crime, recently honored the American Robert Minton with a press conference, shortly after his close ties to an international money laundering racket of gigantic proportions became public. As African and English newspapers are presently reporting, the former Nigerian military dictatorship channeled several billion (!) US$ to foreign bank accounts with the support of Minton and his accessories. This was part of a fraudulent deal that only superficially had to do with repaying foreign debts."
4. Freiheit issue "Also doch: Caberta nahm Geldsumme!" (It's true after all: Caberta Took Larger Sum of Money)
Page 2, fifth column: "... According to a criminal charge filed by the Nigerian Republic with the attorney general of Geneva he was accused of defrauding the country of serveral hundred million US$ during his business transactions with the former Nigerian military dictatorship. The complaint also accuses Minton of forgery of documents and money laundering."
2. The Defendants have to pay the costs.
3. The sentence is provisionally executable under Payment of security …..
Amount in controversy: DM 100,000- .
FYI, Sabine Weber, one of the defendants, is the head of OSA in Germany.
Any text written by other authors which may be quoted in part or in full within this exposure of the Scientology cult is provided according to U. S. Code Title 17 "Fair Use" dictates which may be reviewed at http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html If you're an author of an article and do not wish to allow it to be mirrored or otherwise provided on The Skeptic Tank web site, let us know and it will be removed fairly promptly.E-Mail Fredric L. Rice / The Skeptic Tank